Monday, October 3, 2016

October 3rd - Many Conferences

Familia e Amigos,

Mom, your letter this week was really awesome. I laughed a lot with the story about the sweetest cross country meet ever, and I enjoyed your camping story. Our family really is cursed, isn't it? It rains every single time we try to camp. I have a related story here too. I really missed conference bingo once again, because eating all of the candy even when the speaker didn't say anything on the list was always a good time. And listening to the Brazilian translator isn't the same thing, even if you understand anything. General Conference always makes me a little bit homesick. It's weird that I only have one more conference here too. 

As for my rain story, it goes like this. Here in Brazil, nobody uses clothes dryers. It's all drying line here. And sometimes, you get to live in a house that doesn't have a clothesline in a covered area that lets you dry your clothes out without danger of weather, or this covered area is really small. So, what do I do? Put my clothes out on the outdoor line and hope it doesn't rain long enough for my clothes to dry and for me to take them off the line. You´d think this would have a pretty high chance of working out right, especially when the whole week didn't rain, right? WRONG. The first week in my new house here, I put the clothes out Monday afternoon, planning to put them away Tuesday morning. Then Monday night it rained. So I had to put the clothes in the washer again, and put them out again. They dried, and I took them down. The next week, I did the same thing, put them out Monday afternoon, get them Tuesday morning. Monday night it rained. This cycle continued for FOUR WEEKS. IT ONLY RAINED ON MONDAY NIGHT! I cried one day when I woke up and saw wet pavement. We're cursed.

This week we had many conferences, including zone conference with President Hill, and General Conference, with all of the leaders of the church. I spent a lot of time sitting in the stake headquarters watching great leaders give talks on how we can be better members and better people. I especially liked Elder Oaks´ talk about how now is the time for missionaries and members to work together to grow and help the church. Interestingly, earlier in the week, our President gave us a training on how we can work better together with the members of our wards. For those of you listening back home, support your missionaries. There´s nothing better here than the friend of a member to teach, and that member´s presence in the lesson. Together, we can spread the Gospel much faster than the missionaries can alone. 

I thank you all for your support and prayers back home. Keep up the good work!  One more chance to give all I have!

Elder Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment