Monday, January 23, 2017

January 23rd - Welcome to the Colony

Family and Friends,

Once again I write to you from the depths of the interior of São Paulo. This week though, it´s from a new place! It´s called Colônia, and it is part of the Jundiaí stake. This area has some pretty big hills too, but really nothing compares with Itatiba. I've got a lot of new stuff to talk about, so I´ll start with the area. We've got a pretty big ward here (~120 active members) and we are part of a stake with six wards. This stake hits half of the city of Jundiaí and some of the surrounding cities. As such, I´m in a big city this time, so it's much easier to find clothes that fit me and cooler stuff. The price is also better here. Our zone is also much closer, and we can do cool things, like play soccer on P-day.  I'm really quite excited to work here.

My new companion is Elder Larkins. He´s my first American companion that I've had. He´s from Georgia, and he´s been out exactly as long as I have. He´s pretty happy that the Atlanta Falcons are going to the Super Bowl. He´s doing Insanity, a really tough workout program, and I can't really keep up. Together we are the two Zone Leaders here.

As a Zone Leader I have to go to leadership meetings once a month, and I have to in general take care of and serve the other missionaries here in our stake. It means that we spend a lot of time on the phone on Sundays getting everybody else´s numbers. We also have to know what´s going on with the missionaries, what are their personal needs, etc. It´s a cool opportunity to help others.

As for a story about following promptings of the Spirit, I remember when I was teaching a guy back in Barão Geraldo. We were trying to help him overcome some problems with commandments, and I felt inspired to say the phrase "If you want to see miracles in your life, you have to pay the price". In our next lesson he told us that he had been thinking a lot about that phrase and that he wanted to see miracles, so he would pay the price of being baptized. The Spirit talked through me that day, and he was baptized that week. I know the Lord guides our work, and he helps us each day.

Have a great week!

One more chance to offer all I have!

Elder Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment