Tuesday, November 29, 2016

November 28th - Hills, Black Friday, and Giving Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving Fam and Friends!

My family took a sweet trip to make some sweet moolah with Uncle Rico in Utah, and the family partied it up as Dad enjoyed his first vegan Thanksgiving. I like to hear about the fact that you guys were able make it on to the half time report in the Jazz game. As we would call that here in Brazil, Uncle Rico used his "artimanhas sacerdotais", or sweet tricks of the trade. I guess black bean brownies could also be called an "artimanha sacerdotal" too.

This week I did a companion exchange with Elder Hedrick, a missionary from Utah. It was the first time I have worked alongside another American in almost a year. Crazy thought huh? I really have turned into almost a native. The day that we did the exchange turned out to be Thursday, and Thanksgiving day, although we only realized this fact at about 6:00 at night when we walked by a store that had a Black Friday promotion going for the next day. At that point we realized that it was a holiday. You really lose yourself and your old habits from home when you are serving a mission. Especially in another country, it´s very easy to forget about holidays and national happings. I didn´t even know elections had passed until people started asking me if I was happy with the new US President. We don´t ever see the news. We are focused 100% of the time on the work. But to celebrate that night, we did eat a pizza. Although it wasn´t turkey, it counts for something, right? 

We were able to help a young man get baptized this week. His name is David, and unhappily I won´t be able to send you a picture, because we´re having problems transfering the picture from the camera to the computer. Hopefully next week I´ll be able to send you the more complete story.

As this week was Thanksgiving, I´d like to give you guys a list of the things that I am thankful for.

I am thankful that I can be a missionary, and preach the Gospel every day. I'm thankful for the Book of Mormon, and the amazing power that it has to move lives. I'm thankful for my companion, Elder Leandro, and his sense of humor. I'm thankful for my family, Mom, Dad, Gabe, Jake, and Dave, and the love and support you give me back home. I´m thankful for my extended family, all the aunts and uncles and grandparents that remember me back home. I'm thankful for Brazil, and this beautiful city that I have to serve in. I'm thankful for rice, as it is really one of my new favorite foods. I'm thankful for the internet, as it allows me to communicate with all of you at light speed. And I'm thankful for my Heavenly Father, who created this Earth and all of these other wonderful things.

Have a great week! One more chance to give all I have!
Elder Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment