Monday, November 23, 2015

November 23th - Stomaches

I guess I have been sending packages to the wrong address! I used the address the church sent me and the one Ben sent today is completely different. I have never seen it before. Bummer!!!

"As for me, this week was a little long and boring. My companion, Elder Miranda, ate something bad or something like that, and was having a really really bad stomach ache. So we went to the hospital this week, and they gave him a lot of antibiotics. He was feeling really bad for a couple of days, so we spent a lot of time in the house, but eventually the medicine kicked in and we got back on track. We´ve been having a lot of trouble finding people at home to teach this week. We knocked a lot of doors (clapped in front of a lot of gates), without anyone letting us in. We also tried to find a number of the less-active members in our area and visit them, but it seems like everyone took a big vacation to São Paolo or moved a while ago. I´m sure next week will be better. People drive crazy here in Brasil. I got a ride with a couple of members for various reasons this week, and when people tailgate here, it´s like 1 foot behind the other car. The road is also full of potholes and speed bumps, so people swerve around all over the place, pedestrians cross randomly, and guys on motorcycles weave in and out of traffic like nuts. I really really wish I could drive here. It´s so cool! I had an interview with President Hill this week, and it was great. I really love him; he´s a very wise man. Next week transfers happen, so I´ll see where we end up. I could get a new companion, or change areas, or really anything! We´ll find out. My Portuguese is really developing fast. I neglected to mention it, but I´ve basically been fluent since like week 3. I´ve been reading a lot in just straight up Portuguese, like the Old Testament institute manual, and I´ve been working on neutralizing my American accent. There are still a few people that I don´t understand, and I´ve still got a ways to got to get my vocabulary anywhere near my level in English, but it´s going really well. I can express myself almost fully, and I´ve been thinking in Portuguese basically full time. It´s all about the Gift of Tongues here. Also, I´ve finally figured out what food to buy here, and I´ve got some brand loyalty going on, as you can see from the picture. Life is good.

As far as a spiritual message goes this week, I´d like to draw your attention to the book of Genesis. It´s really hard to understand some times, and there´s a lot of weird stuff too. But there are also some really good parts. Particularly right after Noah disembarks from the ark. The Lord then shows him a rainbow, and says this  13 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
 14 And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: 15 And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh. 16 And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.  
I don´t know how many rainbows you guys see back home, but we get a lot here in Brazil, and the next time you see one, think of the beauty the Lord has given us. Think of this wonderful Earth the Lord has put us on, and the covenant he made to never again cover the Earth with a flood. God loves us. We are his children. When we follow him, we will be blessed, as we have been blessed with this beautiful Earth. Life here is beautiful. It´s easy to get caught up in all of the hard things, all of the challenges and difficulties, but remember to look up sometimes, and see all the beauty there is. I love my life. I want to bring this same love to all the people I meet, and in part, I know, I will succeed.
Elder Benjamin Murray"

No comments:

Post a Comment